We answer all of your bus FAQs!
What should I know before buying a bus?
Buying a bus is not like buying an automobile. Busses take more skill to drive and park, and some require special licensing. Before buying a new or used bus, it is important to do your research. There are many bus options, so you want to ensure that you are buying the right one for you.
- Do I need a special license to drive a bus? It depends on the size of the bus. You will need a CDL (commercial driver’s license) with a passenger endorsement if the bus weighs over 26,000 pounds, or is rated to carry 16 passengers or more. If it has air brakes, you will need the air brake endorsement on your CDL as well. In Colorado, you will also need a CDL if the bus can transport hazardous materials or tow trailer or vehicles. Different states have different laws, so it is wise to know the licensing requirements for your state before purchasing a bus.
- What types of busses are there? Different types of busses are used for different purposes. Commercial busses and tour coaches are usually used by small businesses, such as hotels and tour companies. Transit busses are used for public transportation, while school busses, of course, are used for transporting school children.
- Buses can be dog-nosed, with a jutting engine section in the front for ease of access. They can also be flat-nosed, for more of an RV look. Flat-nose busses can be front-engine (puller) or rear-engine (pusher). Front-nose busses are louder, but have more interior and storage space. They are also less expensive to repair due to the engine placement.
- Can I convert a school bus? Absolutely any type of bus can be converted to a living space, party bus, bookmobile, or whatever you like! We specialize in bus conversions and can help you make your dream into a reality. If you are converting a school bus, you will need to take it to the Department of Transportation to have it recertified.
- Should I buy a used or new bus? The choice is dependent on your preference and budget. Used busses will have a lower upfront cost, but newer busses are more pristine and require less maintenance. If you are planning on converting a bus, a used bus is probably your best option. Be sure to go to a dealership you can trust for used bus sales, to avoid purchasing something that needs costly repairs. At Davey Coach, our used busses must meet stringent requirements before they are sold.
- What kind of busses does Davey Coach carry? At Davey Coach, you can find both used and new busses. We have a huge selection of makes, models and sizes, so we can help you find a bus to meet your unique needs. We carry busses from top manufacturers such as Turtle Top, Champion, Elkhart Coach, and more. Our inventory is always changing, so check our website or visit one of our dealerships for current availability.
At Davey Coach, we offer more than new and used bus sales. We offer parts, accessories, repairs, conversions, rentals, and more. Contact us today for more details.